Friday, May 12, 2006

The Pox

NEWS OF THE WEIRD
By Chuck Shepherd

LEAD STORY

A Texas jury decided in 1991 that Steven Kenneth Staley, now 43, should be put to death for killing a restaurant manager, but three days before his February 2006 date with destiny, psychologists testified that he is mentally ill, and the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that a mentally ill person cannot be executed. The solution, declared state judge Wayne Salvant in April, is for the state to inject Staley with enough psychotropic medicine to make him sufficiently sane to understand why he is going to die, at which point he can be killed. (In similar cases, drugs improved Charles Singleton enough for his 2004 execution in Arkansas, but have failed since 1999 to restore Texan Emanuel Kemp's competency.)


Justice is totally messed up in this country.


My son has The Chicken Pox.

My wife has a conference for which she left with much prodding on my part. I was planning to work at home all weekend anyway. Sixty percent of my work is done at my home office because most of it is consulting.


Chicken Pox is visually quite and ugly condition even when mild. My son has a mild case. I am guessing it is because he was vaccinated.

I wish you all a good weekend and a Happy Mother's Day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right... justice is very messed up in this country!

I truly hope your son feels so much better really soon... I dread when my son gets them...

P.S. I hope you have had the Chicken Pox already... for an adult to get them... could be really nasty!!!

Anonymous said...

sorry about the pox.

I had them in Australia and it was hot there and I was miserable. Or so I hear.

Tell baby bizman to feel better.

Chris said...

The death penalty is something that confuses me. Sometimes I'm for it and sometimes I'm against it.

I don't believe everyone who kills should be killed. And I don't believe the death penalty is a deterrent.

Hope your boy gets better.