Friday, January 27, 2006

Weekend Post

Duke did it again and my little bit of glee after the Hoya's beat them the other night was - as expected - short lived. I hope to catch the Cincinnati / Georgetown game tomorrow. The weekend again is for college basketball, some paperwork a good book and family time. If it's warm I hope to shoot some golf; it has been possible to play here this month and I have done it twice. Two cheers fro warmer than normal winters.

I will be leaving in March for a few weeks to travel to a variety of places around the globe for my job. I have not traveled overseas since my son was born but it will be necessary again at least this time.

My wife wanted to go see Brokeback Mountain this evening. I didn't. She went with a friend. I'd rather stay home and son-sit.

I like to think of myself as a fairly enlightened individual. I wonder why then I really just didn't think I could stomach this movie. What did it mean?
I love going to the movies, always have always will. Love the popcorn and chocolate mix and the five six dollar coke all mixed together. So am I a raving homophobic? We have a couple of gay friends so I just can't figure it.

It came to me eventually, it has nothing to do with any of that; it is simply that
I don't like seeing love stories of any kind unless there is a lot of action of some other kind in them, I don't like "Westerns". I don't like art films and this is a close as they come from what I hear.

If it is hilarious, clever, and fast I like it. If it is full of action and suspense I like it. I don't think that I have seen a movie that didn't fit the aforementioned criteria in a very long time.

I feel better now.

Have a nice weekend out there.

3 comments:

Cooper said...

Off all sports I like college basketball best.

Brokeback mountain is not necessarily an art film, it's also pretty good but no one will hold it against you. Larry David woldn't see it either.;0

Day by Day said...

Funny, I don't think you are homophobic. I am deffinetly NOT homophobic and I, personally, don't care to see it for the same reasons you have listed. I am love horror films and suspense films... I can't do the love story's. The only love story I have seen in awhile was "Walk the Line" and I had to see it because it was JOHNNY CASH!

Chris said...

I'm agreeing with you about Brokeback Mountain. That is one movie I plan on never seeing. I have nothing against gay people. I have gay friends; I even support gay marriage, but I don't want to see two men getting it on. Sorry, not for me. The great thing about America is that if people like us don't want to see it, then we don't have to. If only the neocons could figure that much out.

But now your assumption of Duke I can't concur :) Duke's bringing it home this year.

And my Salukis are still doing well. Got some big games this week.